Other, the other和another不仅长相相似，而且都同时扮演限定词和代词两个角色，在使用时很容易出现“内部错误”或“外部混淆”，今天小厚就来带大家区分一下other们吧~
other =”additional or extra”, or “alternative”, or “different types of”.
other as a determiner
Some music calms people; other music has the opposite effect. (different types of music)
What other books by Charles Dickens have you read, apart from‘Oliver Twist’? (additional or extra books)
This one is too big. Do you have it in other sizes? (alternative sizes)
I don’t like the red one. I prefer the other colour.
Jeremy is at university; our other son is still at school.
There’s one other thing we need to discuss.
Mandy and Charlotte stayed behind.The other girls went home. (The others girls…)
other as a pronoun
We have to solve this problem, more than any other.
I’ll attach two photos to this email and I’ll send others tomorrow.
the other as a determiner
This computer here is new. The other computer is about five years old.
The gift shop is on the other side of the street.
Joel and Karen are here, but where are the other kids?
Where are the other two dinner plates? I can only find four.
the other as a pronoun
He had his hat in one hand and a bunch of flowers in the other.
She has two kittens, one is black and the other is all white.
当用于指代多个人或事物时，the other也有复数形式the others：
Bob is on his way here, with the others.
another as a determiner
Would you like another cup of coffee?
You’ve met Linda, but I have another sister who you haven’t met, called Margaret.
I don’t like this place. Is there another café around here we could go to?
another as a pronoun
The applications are examined by one teacher, then passed on to another.
1. Some people like to go home after work. ______ like to meet up with their friends.
2. Sorry, there are no empty seats on this side of the room. There may be seats on _____ side.
3. I love this city. There is no _____ place like it!
4. That dress is not formal enough for the wedding. Do you have ______?
5. Your computer is so old. Maybe you should buy ______.
6. You met one of my sisters. But I have _____ one who lives in Boston.
7. These boxes are for dishes. _____ are for cups and glasses.
8. Are there any _____ questions?
2. the other
7. The others